Ashwagandha is an ancient medicinal herb. It is considered as one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda by many scientists. In Ayurvedic, Greek and Indian medicines, Ashwagandha is also named as Indian Ginseng and its scientific name is Withania Somnifera. Alongside Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is also used in various medicines in Africa to cure numerous diseases.
The benefits of Ashwagandha are numerous and it has been used for more than 3,000 years on the planet to get rid of stress, increase energy levels and increase concentration. Here we have discussed the top 10 proven health benefits of Ashwagandha which can help you in day to day life.
Some Amazon Recommended Ashwagandha Products:Click the product to purchase directly from Amazon
1. Jain Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Powder – 500 g
2. CARMEL ORGANICS Ashwagandha Powder 100 grams
3. Patanjali Ashwagandha Churna, 100 g (2)
4. Himalaya Wellness Pure Herbs Ashvagandha General Wellness – 60 Tablets
5. Sinew Nutrition Ashwagandha General Wellness Tablets 500mg (60 No.) | Anxiety Relief, Stress Support & Mood Enhancer Natural Supplement
6. Dabur Triphala Churna Ayurvedic Remedy for Gastro-Intestinal Health – 500 g
7. Herbal Hills Krounchbeej Powder, 100 g (Pack of 2)
Benefits of Ashwagandha:
1. To calm down depression and stress:
A study, conducted in 2012, shows that the people who used to take Ashwagandha supplements were documented in lower levels of cortisol. Cortisol is known as “stress hormone”, which is a responsible hormone for stress in human beings. There is one more study conducted in history which found that consuming Ashwagandha caused lower levels of anxiety in 88% of people who consumed it. So, it really plays a vital role in reducing stress and depression. For this, you can use Ashwagandha powder or Ashwagandha churna available on all chemist shops.
2. Works as Anti-Cancer Medicine or Drug:
Ashwagandha is also quite fond of fighting cancer. According to a 2010 study, it was found that Ashwagandha is capable of killing some cancer cells. It also prevents the development of new cancer cells in numerous ways. It strengthens the immunity system of the patients undergoing chemotherapy by increasing the number of white blood cells in their body. A study regarding Ashwagandha was conducted on animals which shows that it can help treat various types of cancers including lungs, breast, brain, colon and ovarian cancer.
3. Reducing inflammation:
As per Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is an anti-inflammatory herb and reduces the inflammation if applied on the wound and consumed as per physician’s direction.
4. Increasing fertility:
Ashwagandha can be very beneficial in increasing testosterone level and sex power in humans. It helps in increasing the number of sperm count and mobility. A research found that consumption of Ashwagandha increases testosterone levels significantly and blood levels of antioxidant were also increased. Ashwagandha can play an important role in fixing the level of anti-oxidants and sperm quality. Along with increasing fertility, It is used in men and women to reduce sexual problems and increase sexual desires as well.
5. Prevents hair whitening or greying of hairs:
According to some research, it is found that taking a daily dose of Ashwagandha powder shows some reduction in white hairs. Ashwagandha increases the production of melanin pigment in the body which gives color to hairs. So if your hairs are white, then you can start consuming Ashwagandha.
6. It Reduces blood sugar:
Ashwagandha is also helpful in reducing the level of blood sugar. In addition, many human studies have confirmed the Ashwagandha’s ability to reduce blood sugar levels in both healthy and diabetic people. Ashwagandha is also beneficial for patients with type 2 diabetes.
7. Anti-Aging Property:
Ashwagandha plant consists of some powerful antioxidants such as polyphenols and therefore it has an anti-aging property which can help you to keep your body healthy and young. It can reduce free radicals in the body and slow down the symptoms of old age.
8. Relief in knee pain and arthritis:
Ashwagandha can help you a lot in fighting joint pain and arthritis.pain. As per some research, using ashwagandha continuously for four weeks can relive the joint pains related to arthritis. It is one of the best uses of ashwagandha.
9. Increasing weight and strength:
Ashwagandha is helpful in improving the human body structure and can increase your strength as well if it is consumed daily. Also, if you want to increase your weight then Ashwagandha’s consumption is very beneficial and it also helps in growing your muscles.
10. Beneficial for the brain:
Ashwagandha is very good for your memory and your brain. It is capable of reducing many problems of the brain due to an injury or any illness.
Consuming 300 to 500 milligrams of Ashwagandha daily is very good for health in every condition. You can take it once or twice daily in the form of capsules or powders. Ashwagandha from Patanjali is available in markets which is a good quality product.
Ashwagandha Side Effects:
- According to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, it is not suitable for pregnant women. The reason for this is that they can also cause abortion.
- Women who breastfeed should not eat it too. If you are pregnant or are nursing, please be careful before taking Ashwagandha.
- Excessive use of Ashwagandha can be harmful to the stomach. Taking this can lead to diarrhea. Therefore, before using it, consult a doctor before taking it.
- Ashwagandha’s use is good for sleeping. But the use of it for many days can harm you too.
- Due to not taking the right dose of Ashwagandha, you may have problems like vomiting.